Monday, April 25, 2005

The Child Learns, The Child Teaches….

Having read several books about how certain teacher teaches their students and working together with some good teachers, I learn something about the way how we teach children

From what they have experience I learn how to a better teacher than what I am now. I value the joy of teaching and learning; being their part of life, giving something that they’ve never seen before…and hearing the ‘AHAAAAA…’ mumbling reaction in the class is something I treasure every time I’m in the class...it's like we show them something huge...something they don't imagine and something that only 'adult' know (that's what they always say every time they say ahaaaaaa...) hahhaa....it's really interesting...

I learn how to spend more time observing, listening and interact with children from Juanita V. Copley, one of committees in NCEYC (National Council of Education Young Children ? an organisation that concerns about young children education)

She has been teaching for more than 26 years. In some stages, the children’s strategies made the most different in her teaching. Their interests changed the scope of teaching content, or their particular strengths or weakness changed the sequence of instruction instead.

A long journey in her teaching has been influenced by most of her students. They have taught, given her many ideas, and broadened her beliefs about teaching.

She learned something from Timmy.

Timmy was a child with whom teachers found it difficult to work. He has shown a very short attention span and little promise in almost all subjects in the class. Juanita admitted him to a special program for ‘slow learners’
She did not have time to relate with Timmy, until one day she had him in her class. To keep him busy, she gave him a large box of electrical equipment from the sixth – grade electricity unit – such as batteries, switches, wire, and small light bulbs. Timmy was asked to sort the box’s contents as she walked out for a while.

She was really surprised after she walked into the room. Do you know what she found? Timmy had created a working electrical system, six bulbs were lit, three switches were built-in, and within the connection he had produced series and parallel circuits

She then listened to Timmy explaining about how he created such thing, which was much more than anything she could make.

What had Timmy taught Juanita?
He taught her an importance of spending time to observe, listen, and watch children. Being their friend unconditionally.

Pay attention to what they like, listen to their reasoning, ask them to explain their creation, challenge them with tasks that seem impossible, and give them opportunity to show us what they can do in their own way…it is one of the way to be a better teacher..

The other thing I learn from Erin. She was my mentor at one of child care centres when I had working experience last semester. She told me that ‘Never had favourites in class’ policy also helps us to be fair and objective as a teacher.

She had experience from Kyle

Kyle is a quiet and compliant girl. She seldom volunteered in class yet she never caused problems, never showed any particular gift for certain subjects in class.
At the end of the year, she asked each child to give her a report card for being a teacher. What do you think she got?

To her surprise, Kyle handed her a note with her own spelling stated,
‘Erin, you were real good with the dumd kids. They needed you and you halped them. You were real good with smart kids. You always keeped them buzy, but you should do better with the plane kids like me. I need to learn to! Luv, Kyle’

Yes….Kyle was right, she made Erin realized that she spent most of her time with the special children and she had ignored the ‘plain’ kids like Kyle.

And again, this experience also told me REMEMBER THAT EVERY CHILD IS IMPORTANT AND SPECIAL…never have favourites!!!!

It is my job to do my best as their teacher, for those special gifted children, those who need concentrated help to overcome difficulties, and those quiet, plain who also HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEARN….

The other thing (I would pack in this to three things which I consider are the most important…actually all things that each child teaches and says to us is important...both of us...teacher and students…we learn and teach at the same time :P)

This is my own experience…I know I’m lack of patience. I always want things running exactly as I planned, fast and perfect. I want all children to do things neat, clean and tidy. Although I’m often told that the more children got dirt on their clothes, the more they learn and enjoy their time in school…remember that the first thing to make children feel comfortable is to make them like school

I am only human. And I’m far from being normal and focus….till I face this...

We had our own lesson plan each week; our theme is about Science for that week.
Dylan is fond of earthworms. He spent countless hours only for observing them, starring at the story books for the whole day. During the week, he became obsessed with finding the earthworms’ eyes.

I was so tired of answering his questions, such as, ‘Look, they got eyes, they can see’ or ‘they blink their eyes, they move…look….come on…you have to see them moving…’ bla bla bla bla…
He kept asking for more and bigger magnifiers…

At the same time, I also need to explain and move through other activities for the day…I tried to respond him as I prepared for next session…

During the last two months, Dylan showed his interest in science especially insects. He’s often found observing insects and will remain in the same place for the whole day unless we call him for some morning tea or lunch. To be honest, I need to admit that he is one of the brightest in the class…

As he boarded to his car at the end of the day, he yelled out the window, ‘I still think they got eyes, I will tell you tomorrow’

I was smiling…and somehow...I was really proud of his curiosity…

When I heard about this, I was reminded how important it is to let children do whatever they want, to explore their mind…don’t correct every error they make…

Again, I learn that by allowing children to investigate their thought, they will learn more about something beyond our imagination. More important, because if a child is really eager to find something new, they continue to be a powerful and excited learner.

I know I still have long and winding road ahead...but these three lessons have given me a preliminary introduction about being a teacher...not only a teacher but also a friend and partner for every child…'a really teacher'

So? At least I have homework now...

First…spend time observing, listening, accompanying, and watching every single thing the children do…even if it’s countless

Second….remember that every child is important…never have favourites…provide more variety in the class that work for children with all types of needs in diverse settings….

Third….encourage every child’s curiosity and not to forget that each child constructs their own knowledge…

Never stop learning in the class…coz…we don’t only teach...but we also learn together in the class…
And the knowledge never stops...learning is a lifetime journey

No comments: